Using Email-Enabled Document Libraries
To enable email for a document library in a SharePoint site, do the following:
- From the document library, click Settings, Document Library Settings (see Figure 18.4).
- Under the Communications category, click the Incoming Email Settings link.
- From the incoming email settings for the document library, check to allow the doc library to receive email, as shown in Figure 18.5.
- Enter an email address. This email address will be added to the contact object that will be created in AD.
- Select how to handle attachments, whether to save the original .eml file, and what type of security policy you will set on the document library. If messages can be received from any sender, this might open the document library up to spam.
- Click OK. Usually within a few minutes after the contact object is created, the document library is ready to accept messages.
Figure 18.4 Configuring document library settings.
Configuring Email-Enabled Lists
To enable email for a list within a SharePoint site, a similar process is followed. In this example, a discussion group is email enabled:
- From the discussion board, click on Settings, Discussion Board Settings.
- Under the Communications category, shown in Figure 18.6, click on Incoming Email Settings.
- Enter the same type of data as was necessary in the document library setup, such as email address, security policy, and whether to save the original emails.
- Click OK to save the settings.
Figure 18.5 Enabling a document library to receive email.
Figure 18.6 Email enabling a discussion board.
This same process can be followed for any document library or list within the SharePoint farm.
6 TIPS IN 6 MINUTES: INTEGRATING EXCHANGE 2007 AND SHAREPOINT 2007
Tip 1: Enabling incoming email functionality in SharePoint
Tip 2: Working with email-enabled content in SharePoint 2007
Tip 3: Understanding Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
Tip 4: Planning for an Exchange Server 2007 environment
Tip 5: Integrating Exchange 2007 with SharePoint 2007
Tip 6: SharePoint 2007 and Exchange 2007 best practices
|This chapter excerpt from Microsoft SharePoint 2007 Unleashed, by Michael Noel and Colin Spence, is printed with permission from Sams Publishing, Copyright 2007.|
Dig deeper on Instant Messaging and Unified Messaging