Deploying MOM agents to Exchange Server
The first step in the configuration process is to deploy the Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) agents to the servers that you will be monitoring. This includes both Exchange servers and any other types of Windows servers that you might want to monitor. Agents facilitate communications between MOM and monitored servers. They are not used solely for monitoring Exchange servers.
Assuming that the monitored servers exist within a trusted domain on your private network and are not behind a firewall, use the following steps to deploy the Microsoft Operations Manager agent to the monitored servers:
- Open the MOM 2005 Administrator Console.
- Select the Microsoft Operations Manager (your server) container. Click the Install -> Uninstall Agents Wizard link from the console's details pane.
- When the Install Uninstall Agents Wizard opens, click Next. You will now see a screen asking you what method you would like to use for discovering computers and installing agents. Select the Browse or Type in Specific Computer Names option and click Next.
- Enter the NetBIOS or fully qualified domain names (FQDNs) of the computers that you want MOM to manage. If you are entering multiple computer names, separate the names with a space, comma, or semi-colon. Do not enter the name of your management server. Click Next to continue.
- You will now be asked which account you want to use to deploy the agents. Since we have already configured MOM to use a Management Server Action Account, select the Management Server Action Account option and click Next.
- You will now be asked which account you want to use as an Agent Action Account. The Agent Action Account is used to collect data from providers and to run responses. Unless you have a compelling reason to use another account, select the Local System option and click Next.
- The wizard will now ask you for the path in which agents should be installed on managed servers. Accept the default path by clicking Next.
- You will now see a summary screen that displays the choices that you have made regarding agent deployment. If all of the information that's shown on this screen looks acceptable, click Finish.
The Microsoft Operations Manager agents will now be installed, although the installation process can take several minutes to complete.
Installing the Exchange Server Management Pack for MOM
Now that you've deployed Microsoft Operations Manager agents to the managed computers, it is time to install the Exchange Server Management Pack. The Exchange Server Management Pack doesn't actually ship with MOM, but you can download it for free from the Microsoft Management Pack Catalog.
Make sure you download the management pack that corresponds to the Exchange Server version or versions running on your network.
After you download the management pack, you must import it into MOM:
- Double-click on the management pack file that you downloaded.
- When prompted, enter a path to extract the management pack files to and click OK.
- The extraction process will create a folder named Exchange2003MgmtPack in the location that you have specified (the name may differ if you download a different management pack). Within this new folder, there will be a file named Microsoft Exchange Server MOM 2005 MP.msi. Double click on this file.
- When you see the management pack's end-user license agreement displayed, select the "I Agree" option and click Next.
- Select the path in which you would like the management pack to be installed and click Next.
- Click Next again to begin the installation process.
- Click Close to close the installation wizard.
- Open the MOM 2005 Administrator Console.
- Select the Microsoft Operations Manager (your server) container from the column on the left.
- Click the Import/Export Management Packs link on the details pane.
- When the Management Pack Import/Export Wizard launches, click Next.
- You will now be asked if you would prefer to import or export a management pack. Select the Import Management Packs and/or Reports option and click Next.
- Enter the path to the Exchange Server Management Pack and click Next.
- Select the management pack you want to import. If necessary, select the option to have MOM back up existing management packs, then click Next to continue.
- Click Finish to complete the import process.
- Click Close to close the wizard.
You are now read to use MOM to monitor your Exchange servers.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE: HOW TO SET UP MOM FOR EXCHANGE SERVER
Step 1: Create mailboxes and accounts for Microsoft Operations Manager
Step 2: Install SQL Server and Exchange System Manager for MOM
Step 3: Install Microsoft Operations Manager
Step 4: Configure MOM to monitor Exchange Server
|ABOUT THE AUTHOR:|
| Brien M. Posey, MCSE
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Exchange Server, and has previously received Microsoft's MVP award for Windows Server and Internet Information Server (IIS). Brien has served as CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once responsible for the Department of Information Management at Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer, Brien has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies. You can visit Brien's personal Web site at http://www.brienposey.com.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft Exchange Server Monitoring and Logging