There are many instances when people might want to share contacts and calendar information. The first that comes...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
to mind is a relationship between a manager and her administrative assistant. It's clearly in the interest of productivity of the pair to be able to share such info. Or you might have a situation where there is an admin assistant for an entire group of engineers or software designers where it's a good idea to let the admin have a crack at the calendar info and contacts for the whole group.
The most common way to share such information is through mailboxes stored in the Exchange server.
But what if contacts and calendar information that needs to be shared are in a personal store file/folder? How can sharing take place here? Here's how:
- Share the folder that contains the personal store.
- Grant the user who will be accessing the folder "change" permission. Do not give access to everyone in the group (if there's a group involved) because only one user can access the personal store file at a time. That's why this method may be more useful between a manager and a secretary than in a whole group. In the case of an admin for a whole group, share the folders and allow the admin "change" permission.
- On the other workstation map to the shared directory that contains the personal store.
- In MS Outlook Go to File | Open | Personal Folders File
- Browse to the mapped drive that has the shared personal store.
Remember that when you are finished updating the contacts, you need to exit from the share so that the other user can access the information.
Adesh Rampat has 10 years experience with network and IT administration. He is a member of the Association Of Internet Professionals, the Institute For Network Professionals, and the International Webmasters Association. He has also lectured extensively on a variety of topics.
Dig Deeper on .PST Files