By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Delay delivery of messages
Ever had to recall a message when you realize that the mail was sent to the incorrect person or that you needed to make a change to the body of the message? Recalling a message works fine if the receiver of the mail has not opened the message. But there is another solution: setting up a delay delivery system in which the message can remain in the outbox for a specified period of time, and when the time is up, the mail is then delivered.
Using Outlook 2000, the following rule can be created:
- From the Tools menu select the Rules Wizard. If you have a client rule already created, select the Keep Client button.
- Click the New button.
- In the window that says "which type of rule do you want to create," select Check messages after sending, then click next.
- In the "which condition do you want to check" window, select sent to people or distribution list. Click on the underlined phrase, then select which user you want to delay message delivery.
- The next screen will then display "what do you want to do with the message". Select defer delivery by a number of minutes.
- In the Rule Description box, click the underlined phrase "a number of" and in the Defer delivery by box, enter the number of minutes you want messages held before sending.
- Click the OK button, then click the Next button.
- Select any exceptions, then click the Next button.
- You can now specify a name for the rule, then click the Finish button.
Now your messages to a particular person will be held in your Outbox for a specified time after you click the Send button.
Adesh Rampat has 10 years experience with network and IT administration. He is a member of the Association Of Internet Professionals, the Institute For Network Professionals, and the International Webmasters Association. He has also lectured extensively on a variety of topics.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft Exchange Server User Settings