Each month our team of expert editors addresses the changing role of IT by helping savvy
technology professionals navigate both the technical and cultural challenges wrought by
vendor-hype, user-demands, and technology requirements.
Is Klingon your second language? Do you organize your blog by stardate? Feel nervous in red shirts?
If you answered "Affirmative" to these questions, you might be a Trekkie. Even if you aren't, you probably know more than you'd think about the technologies featured on this venerable television series. Take our geek quiz to test your Star Trek Tech quotient. Live long and prosper!
1. JlSuDrup? This search engine offers a Klingon interface. What is it? Answer
2. Star Trek III, The Search for Spock: Beset by Klingons, the crew is forced to destroy this. In common parlance, it's a term for any type of organization that uses computers in its day-to-day operations. What is it? Answer
3. This super high-tech method is used to transport humans and more exotic life forms between the Enterprise and other locales. On the home planet, the term refers to a means of transferring data between two devices using infrared transmission. What is it? Answer
4. Romulans and Klingons alike have used this type of device to shield ships from detection; spammers use it to mask their names and addresses in mass mailings. What is it? Answer
5. Here's Star Trek's recipe for the power required to achieve warp speed: simply combine this type of substance in equal proportions with matter, for a direct and complete conversion to energy. What is it? Answer
6. Party on the holodeck! Introduced in STTNG (Star Trek, The Next Generation), the holodeck is an extremely sophisticated and interactive version of this environment-simulation technology. What is it? Answer
7. Spock employed the Vulcan nerve pinch to put foes out of commission. In computing, the Vulcan nerve pinch is another name for a famous three-key combination frequently used to shut down a hanging system. What is it? Answer
8. On Star Trek, if your ship got too close to one of these, the odds were it would get sucked right into it. In physics and astronomy, it's a region in time and space within which gravity is so strong that nothing can escape. What is it? Answer
9. Dr. McCoy implants these devices into Kirk and Spock, for tracking purposes, before they beam down to the planet Ekos. It's a type of electronic device that converts energy from one form to another. What is it? Answer
10. This handy Iconian transporter enables instantaneous travel to anywhere in existence; in communications it's a point on a network that serves as an entrance to another network. What is it? Answer