Migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 was a wild ride and required a great deal of planning and insight...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
into the migration process to ensure success. Exchange Server 2003 greatly improves upon the migration capabilities, however, with the addition of the Exchange Deployment Tools. Using these tools, in addition to understanding best practices of the underlying procedures taking place, can do much to increase the reliability and success rate of an Exchange migration and more easily lead an Exchange 5.5 environment to the advanced feature set of Exchange Server 2003.
- Utilize the Exchange Deployment Tools for the entire migration process to streamline the deployment and reduce risk.
- Migrate using the Move Mailbox process whenever possible, and resort to the ExMerge process only if migrating between Exchange organizations.
- Install the Active Directory Connector on the first Exchange Server in the Site.
- Switch the AD domain to Native Mode in advance of the ADC setup and Exchange migration, to ensure proper replication of security groups.
- Use the site and server consolidation strategies in Exchange Server 2003 to significantly reduce the number of servers that will need to be supported.
- Rely on the ADC Tools to configure the connection agreements, and modify them only if there is a specific reason to do so.
- Leave an Exchange 5.5 server in place only if it is needed to support connectors that are unsupported in Exchange Server 2003.
Migrating from Exchange Server 5.5 to 2003 -- 11 tips in 11 minutes
Tip 1: Comparing Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and 2003
Tip 2: Prerequisites for migrating to Exchange Server 2003
Tip 3: Structuring an Exchange migration for the best results
Tip 4: Preparing the Active Directory forest and domain
Tip 5: Installing and configuring the Active Directory Connector
Tip 6: Installing the first Exchange 2003 system in a 5.5 site
Tip 7: Understanding Exchange 2003 mailbox migration methods
Tip 8: Migrating Exchange Server 5.5 public folders to 2003
Tip 9: Migrating Exchange 5.5 connectors and services to 2003
Tip 10: Completing the migration to Exchange Server 2003
Tip 11: Best practices for migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003
This chapter excerpt from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Unleashed, by Rand Morimoto, is printed with permission from Pearson Education, Copyright 2005. Click here for the chapter download or purchase the book here.