Additionally, if I am sitting at the server (it is an old SBS 4.5 machine, on which proxy 2.0 has been removed), I can get the inbox and messages to display very quickly and properly. I now remember seeing something about proxy servers and OWA problems -- I wonder if there are some pieces of Proxy 2.0 still lying around. I have found a lot of Usenet posts of people experiencing the same problems, but it seems that there are no answers. Can you shed some light?
Server Specs: NT4 SP6a, Exchange 5.5 SP4, IIS 4.0
There is no firewall installed on the server/workstations. I can't find any evidence that IISLockDown/URLScan has ever been installed on the server. The users are not using PSTs, and I have tried this on a mailbox with only a few messages. Any ideas?
First, verify that Proxy 2.0 is no longer listed in Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs. If it is, try removing it. If it is not, look at the remaining Control Panel applets. Do you have WSP (Winsock Proxy) Client listed? If so, see if you can launch and disable it. Next, check the browser configuration settings. Launch "Internet Options" in Control Panel and go to the Connections tab. Click "LAN Settings" and uncheck all boxes. If all of them are unchecked, then Internet Explorer is not using a proxy. Next, go to a command prompt and do an IPCONFIG /ALL. This will display the network settings. Verify name resolution and default gateway information. If this is a Windows 2000 or later client, you might also run netdiag and verify network health that way, too.
If none of this helps, check the IIS (Internet Information Server) log files and see if they show any HTTP reply codes that indicate some sort of error. Be sure to also check the security log on your server (if you have auditing enabled). Finally, if all else fails, run Network Monitor and examine the packets between the client and server to locate the failure or communication breakdown.
This was first published in August 2003