Direct booking problems in Exchange
Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and Outlook 2000. We use direct booking to schedule meetings including resources - conference rooms, A/V equipment, VTC equipment, etc. When I sign on to Outlook as a Resource (i.e. Conference Room 10) and Click on Tools, Options, Calendar Options..., and Resource Scheduling... I get a "You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator". Also when I log this same resource off Outlook, I typically (although not always) receive an "Unable to update public free/busy data. You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator". I am trying to correct a problem with this resource in which Conference Room 10 can be double booked. I have tried creating a Test Conference Room while logged on to the Exchange Administrator program as the Exchange Server Service Account. Then when I sign on to Outlook as that conference room, I get the same message as the first one above. Any thoughts?
Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like the default permissions have been changed to "None" on the Schedule+ Free Busy public folder object on the Exchange server. If that is the case, you can resolve this issue by doing the following:
1. At the Exchange Server computer, start the Exchange Server Administrator program.
2. Click to expand Folders.
3. Click to expand System Folders.
4. Click to expand Schedule+ Free/Busy.
5. Click the folder for the server or site that is in question, and on the File menu, click Properties.
6. Click the General tab, and then click Client Permissions.
7. Under Default, click Role of Editor, and then click OK.
8. Click OK.
This was first published in February 2004