- Install a "recovery server" in a new Active Directory forest. Do not install it into your production forest.
- Install Exchange on the recovery server. Make sure you use the same organization name as your production organization.
- Recover the database to an administrative group (AG) in which the legacyExchangeDN values match the legacyExchangeDN values from the original production AG. Have a look at Microsoft Knowledge Base 324606, XADM: How to Use Legacydn.exe to Correct Exchange Organization or Administrative Group Names.
- Name the restore storage group and database to match your production storage group and database names.
- Export the data to .pst files, and then import the .pst files into new mailboxes after you've rebuilt your production environment.
Related Q&A from SearchExchange Staff
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.